Space Science and Engineering
This minor is open to all students in the Whiting School of Engineering and the Krieger School of Arts and Sciences who have the prerequisites for the required courses. The objective of the Minor is to prepare students for a career in Space Science and Space Engineering, either directly as an entering professional in industry, government laboratories and other organizations or as a student in a graduate program. The educational goal of the Minor is to enable students to:
- Apply their understanding and mastery of the fundamental scientific, engineering, and mathematical principles obtained through their major subject of study to space science and space engineering.
- Develop an understanding and capacity for interdisciplinary approaches to technical activities.
- Improve their ability to work in multidisciplinary teams, which are typical in space and other complex technical activities, through interdisciplinary education and internship(s) or equivalent experience(s).
Minor in Space Science and Engineering
Requirements for the Minor:
- A Proposal and Course Plan, which must be approved by your adviser for the minor (hereafter referred to as the “Adviser”). The proposal must discuss a theme that unites the individual elements of the program (courses and internship(s)) into an intellectual whole.
- Five courses in Science and Engineering. One course is specified (AS.171.321 Introduction to Space, Science, and Technology) and the remaining four are chosen through your Proposal and Course Plan, which must be approved prior to taking the courses by the Adviser. All courses must be taken for a grade rather than satisfactory/unsatisfactory. A grade of C- or better is required. Courses that are named as requirements for the student’s major may not be used. However, courses that are not named, but satisfy an elective requirement for the major, may be used.
- An internship or equivalent experience in the field of space science and engineering is required. This must have prior approval from the Adviser.
- A brief report on the internship or equivalent experience to the Adviser.
For a detailed explanation of the minor and its requirements, including sample programs of study, please visit the