Peabody Double Degree

The Peabody Conservatory and the Homewood schools of The Johns Hopkins University offer the opportunity for a select number of academically and musically advanced students to simultaneously pursue a Bachelor of Music degree and either a Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science degree from the Krieger School of Arts and Sciences or the Whiting School of Engineering.

Students must be admitted independently to Peabody by way of audition and also to one of the Homewood schools to be invited to participate in the Double Degree Program. Audition standards for Peabody Double Degree students are the same as for all students auditioning for the conservatory. Typically, the Double Degree program takes a minimum of five years to complete. Students who have begun their junior year of study are not eligible to enter the Double Degree Program nor may students transfer into the program midyear.

Administrative services such as registration, financial aid, and health care are provided to Double Degree students by the Homewood schools. Consequently, students in the Double Degree Program do not receive Peabody merit scholarships or any other form of financial aid from Peabody.

Student Status

Students in the double degree program are responsible for meeting the requirements of both degree curricula within the published guidelines of the relevant programs. Students' principal affiliation is with the Krieger School of Arts and Science or the Whiting School of Engineering. All official procedures of registration and records are managed through the Arts and Sciences/Engineering Office of the Registrar. The official transcript for a double degree student, including all courses at both Peabody and Homewood, is maintained by the Arts and Sciences/Engineering Office of the Registrar.

Enrollment requirements and limits

Double Degree students must enroll at a minimum in private lessons and, for instrumental majors, large ensembles, to maintain their status as Peabody degree candidates in the Double Degree Program. Double degree students must register for at least one course at Homewood each semester.

The maximum total credit enrollment per semester for all courses, Peabody and Homewood, is 23 credits.

Residency Requirement for Peabody Double Degree Students

Students earning a double-degree at Peabody must complete at least 48 credits on the Homewood campus in the Krieger School of Arts & Sciences and/or the Whiting School of Engineering.

Course changes and withdrawals from Peabody courses

Students must follow the deadlines and processes for adding, dropping or withdrawing from Peabody courses that are published on the Peabody Academic Affairs website.

Course changes and withdrawals from Arts and Sciences and Engineering courses

Students must follow the deadlines and processes for adding, dropping or withdrawing from Arts & Sciences and Engineering courses that are published on the Homewood Registrar's Office website.

Leave of Absence

Double degree students may request an LOA from the double degree program, but they cannot be granted leave from only the Homewood or Peabody portion of the program. An LOA for double degree students is subject to the guidelines of the advising office for the Krieger School of Arts and Sciences or the Whiting School of Engineering.

Graduation Policies

Double degree students must petition to graduate from the Peabody Conservatory, according to the procedures listed here. They must also adhere to the policies and procedures for applying to graduate from their Homewood school, Arts and Sciences or Engineering, listed here. Students should note that both degrees are awarded simultaneously, and degree conferral is available only in May of each year.