Student Status

Contact Information

All matriculated students are required to have on record with the university accurate local and permanent contact information at all times and may be subject to a registration hold if this information is missing. This includes local address, local telephone number, and valid JHU e-mail address. Parent or legal guardian emergency contact information also must be on record and updated as necessary. This information should be maintained with the Registrar’s Office by using SIS for Students.

Student Classification (Year of Study)

Student classification refers to the familiar names for the four undergraduate years: freshman, sophomore, junior, and senior. A student’s classification is generally determined by the academic year in which the student’s cohort began the first year of college. In the first year, students in the cohort are designated freshmen. For students transferring into the university, an official student classification will be assigned by the respective advising office after completion of a final transfer credit evaluation. The number of credits a student has earned does not determine class standing. A student who graduates after three years would graduate as a junior. 

For students who have been on leave and missed two or more semesters, classification will be determined by the student’s academic advising office when the student returns to the university. If, for example, a student was on leave of absence for an entire academic year, the advising office may assign the student to a cohort one year behind the student’s original cohort. 

Students are required to register with their cohort, not on the basis of total credits or expected date of graduation. Plans to graduate early are not grounds for registering before a student’s cohort. If a student who intends to graduate early is closed out of a required course for the major, the student may petition the department offering the course for approval to add the course. The decision rests with the department.

Full-Time Student Status

Undergraduate students at Johns Hopkins University must be registered for a minimum of 12 credits each semester. Students who have not completed degree requirements after eight full-time semesters (or four full-time semesters for transfer students) may register for fewer than 12 credits and pay for courses on a per credit basis with approval of the student's academic advising office.  Prior to a ninth semester, a student may not enroll for fewer than 12 credits.

Leave of Absense

Leaves of absence are granted for specific periods, generally up to one year, and such leaves are regarded as approved interruptions of a student’s program. No tuition or fees are charged while on leave.  If applicable, students should consult with the Office of Financial Aid prior to requesting a leave of absence. Students may not be eligible for health benefits if enrolled through JHU's Student Health Benefits. 

For more information, visit  and/or

Personal Leave of Absence

Students may be granted a term leave of absence for personal reasons with the approval of the academic advising office for the student’s school and with a letter from the student’s parent or guardian acknowledging the request for leave. Written requests for a leave of absence should be submitted to the academic advising office in the student’s school. During a leave of absence, students may not enroll in another institution for the purpose of transferring credits back to JHU. 

Students who fail to return to the university when expected will be considered to have withdrawn from the university.

Medical Leave of Absence (Physical or Mental Health)

Students may be granted a term leave of absence for physical or mental health reasons with the approval of the Office of the Dean of Student Life. Mental health leaves of absence require consultation with the Counseling Center. Physical health leaves of absence require consultation with the Student Health and Wellness Center. No tuition or fees are charged while on leave. Further details are available from the Office of the Dean of Student Life.

Note for Peabody Double Degree Students

Peabody double degree students may request a leave of absence from the double degree program, however they cannot be granted a leave of absence from only one portion (Homewood or Peabody) of the program.

Withdrawal from the University

A student who wishes to withdraw from the university with no intent to return should consult with the respective academic advising office in order to submit an official notification. An official notification of withdrawal consists of the following items:

  • a letter providing brief reason for withdrawal and effective date
  • a letter from parent(s)/guardian(s) acknowledging the student’s withdrawal from JHU

The academic advising office will inform the Office of the Registrar, who will subsequently circulate the notification to other relevant campus offices, such as Student Accounts, Housing, Office of International Services, etc.

An enrolled student who leaves the university without notice, or who fails to register by the end of the second week of the semester, may be considered to have withdrawn from the university. 

A student who transfers to another institution is automatically considered to have withdrawn from JHU. 

In the rare situation where a withdrawn student wishes to return to the university, the student must submit a written request for readmission to their respective advising office for evaluation.  Neither readmission nor transfer of credits is guaranteed.  A student must be formally readmitted before registering for courses. Readmitted students do not pay another matriculation fee.

A student who wishes to withdraw from the university on a temporary basis and intends to return in a future semester should see the information under Leave of Absence.

Peabody Double Degree Students

Information about withdrawing from one or both of a student's degree programs is available on the Peabody Double Degree page.

Combined Bachelors/Masters Programs

Many departments, institutes, and centers offer undergraduates the opportunity to complete some of the requirements for a master’s degree while still completing the requirements for a bachelor’s degree. These programs offer early admission to a graduate program, and may enable a student to complete both bachelor’s and master’s degrees in four years. Other programs are considered five-year programs. Visit for information on offerings available in specific departments.

Students in the School of Arts and Sciences or the School of Engineering must be accepted into a combined program no later than the first semester of their senior year, however departments may set an earlier application deadline.  Students in a combined program are considered to be full-time students, and are charged full tuition.

Students in a combined program are considered to be graduate students (1) upon completion of undergraduate degree requirements, or (2) upon completion of eight full-time semesters as an undergraduate student.  Clearance from a student's respective department is also required.

Additional information about combined programs is available at and  

Taking a Course as an Alumnus

JHU alumni who completed their bachelors degree through the Krieger School of Arts and Sciences or the Whiting School of Engineering may take additional courses in those divisions with permission of the advising office of the school from which they graduated. Students should complete a paper registration form and have it signed in their respective advising office before taking it to the Office of the Registrar for processing.  Courses, grades, and credits will appear on a new academic record. Students must follow the rules for earning a second major or a minor after graduating, if applicable.

Finishing a Second Major or a Minor after Graduating

Students who have completed eight or more semesters in college may take an additional course or two after graduation to complete a second major or minor if they have filed an approved plan with their respective advising office before their initial graduation date. The courses, grades, and credits will appear on a new academic record. A notation indicating the additional major or minor will be added to the new academic record, but a new diploma will not be issued. Students must notify their academic advising office when additional courses taken after graduation satisfy another major or minor.

A plan consists of the following:

  1. Written approval from the director of undergraduate studies for the additional major/minor. 

  2. Description of the remaining requirement(s) to be completed. No more than two courses may be needed and these courses must be completed within one year of a student’s initial graduation date.

  3. Brief summary of why it is necessary for the student to have their degree conferred before completion of all planned majors or minors.

  4. Final approval of a plan must be obtained from the student’s respective advising office.

Students who graduate in fewer than eight semesters may also take courses after graduation as a full-time or part-time student if not completing an additional major or minor. Students who graduate early lose the opportunity to complete additional majors or minors after graduation.

Students should seek assistance of their respective advising office in order to register for a course after graduation.

Second Degrees

Krieger School of Arts and Sciences and Whiting School of Engineering undergraduate-degree alumni who wish to earn a second bachelor's degree at Hopkins must contact their advising office. Students who receive approval must have already completed the requirements for the first bachelor's degree and complete an additional 60 credits at Hopkins beyond what they have done for the first degree. Alumni must request permission to pursue a second bachelor's degree within ten years of the conferral of the first bachelor's degree. The second bachelor's degree must be completed within ten years from the starting date of the second bachelor's degree.